Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:46:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Mark Andy wrote:
> I need a higher speed network connection from my office (where my 'server' pc
> lives) to the living room (where my PS3 lives) to stream video, etc.

    Unless you only have, and exclusively use, desktop machines in specific
locations... go wireless.  It's so much easier to just have a couple
laptops, and wireless everywhere in the house.

> I know I need switches etc. to connect to the network. I'm fine with
> that stuff.  Its the "how do I connect an RJ-whatever connector to the
> ethernet cable and what spec ethernet cable do I want" part I could use
> some advice on, if its not going to be obvious at Lowes/HD.

    The cable you want is Cat5, and the connectors are RJ-45.  It's been
about fifteen years since I cabled a building, but I remember that
crimping 8-wire cat5 was not something we did for the enjoyment.

--
  David Hillman