Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:48:52 -0400
Mark Andy wrote:
> Is there anything magical or to watch out for in terms of running
> ethernet wires, or is it a trip to Lowes/HD to buy some ethernet cable,
> some connectors / baseboard plates, and a cheapo crimper?

Don't run the cables too close to AC lines, esp for long runs in close
parallel, or near fluorescents.  Keeping a distance and running
perpendicular is best.

There is a minimum bend radius for ethernet.  I forget the exact spec
but 3" sounds right.  Don't pull them tight, or you'll get abrupt bends.
  Loose is good.  Don't staple them.  Using "bridle rings" and lightly
ty-wrapping is good.

Use low voltage wall plates to mount in-wall.  Like an electrical box
without a back.  Available at Lowes or HD.  If you try and cram them in
a closed box you'll violate the bend radius rule.

Pull at least two cables to each location, so you have a spare.  If
you're low-budget, you can leave one unterminated for future use.  Buy
pull-twine, use it, and leave it in your bridle rings, walls, etc for
when you need to pull more.

Leaving a 1 foot or so diameter loop of cable at each end gives you
extra length if you need to repair (re-terminate) a cable (since you
can't splice it.)

Learn the standard color coding;  at least for the first 4 pairs of
wire.  Note for math geeks:  phone wire color coding is an infinitely
expandable base-5 numbering system.  And it's even somewhat optimized
for color blind males  ;)

The jacks commonly called "keystone jacks" don't need fancy punch down
tools and are fairly novice friendly.  Plus can be mounted in a variety
of wall plates or surface boxes.  Use RJ45 jacks for everything (4-pair
wide modular.)

Everything should be a "home run" back to one location, where you
central net switches and sources are.  As well as phone service.

Understand that Structured Cabling is not just for ethernet.  Running
your analog phones or RS232 on it is ok too.  But regardless, the patch
panels, wiring, and jacks should all be consistent, with identically
terminated RJ45 jacks.  You can use adapters to go from RJ45 to 9-pin
serial, but don't butcher up the jack!

Some ref matl @ wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

-Wayne