Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: Larry Daniels <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:58:17 -0700
> Is there anything magical or to watch out for in terms of running
> ethernet wires, or is it a trip to Lowes/HD to buy some ethernet cable,
> some connectors / baseboard plates, and a cheapo crimper?

No.  They're fine for the wire, and I think HD at least stocks Leviton
connectors which are fine, but you don't CRIMP anything, you need a
*good* 110 punchdown tool.

Cat5E wire is good enough, Cat6 better, doing the terminations properly
is critical, you've got to carry the twists in the pairs as close to the
punchdown blades as possible.

Google "EIA T568A".

John.