Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: mike rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:59:17 -0700
 Pretty standard stuff (for some of us at least).

 I would look into Cat6 wiring, it is NOT used yet but its the future
and if I was going to wire my house I would plan for the future.  The
wiring work is the same for Cat6 vs. Cat5e.  Cat6 wire is a bigger wire
and wound tighter so its a little bit harder to work with.

 I wired my house last year before I moved in with Cat5e because I had
the wire for free.  But even with that free price, I considered paying
for Cat6 wire.

 The only thing you have to think of is do you want to wire your
connectors to 568A or 568B standards, it really does not matter in the
end, you just have to consistent.  Switches and Routers know how to move
back and forth between the A and B wiring diagrams but you should be
consistent in your walls.  I chose B because its what we use at work and
I know that wiring in my head.  Its just a matter of switching some
wires around, no big deal.  I think A is the standard for phones so it
might be a better wiring scheme since the jack can now be used for
phones OR network, but I am not sure of that.

 HD had everything I needed, although I bought a Netgear box instead of
the brand at HD.

 Like you said, you just need wire, cheap crimpers and plates, that is
all.  The wall connectors just snap into faceplates and they came with
cheap punch tools that did the job just fine.  Wire your garage too, you
will love it :) especially if you have a detached garage like I do and
had very poor wireless connectivity, hated digging that trench but it
was worth it.

        mike