Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: mike rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:11:41 -0700
On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 12:40 -0400, PJ McGarvey wrote:
> I just bought pair of rj-45 jacks and wall plates from HD for about $4 for
> jacks and maybe $2 for the wall plates.  You need to strip back and "punch
> down" the individual wires, which I have not done in many years, and the jack
> comes with a cheap plastic tool to do this - so no idea how well that will
> work.  Was going to do it one night this week...

 That cheap little punch tool works just fine, did not mess up a single
connection :)

> I have to wonder though how much demand for wiring homes with Cat5 has dropped
> off since wireless has gotten more ubiquitous and cheap.  There are still
> places for it.

 Wireless is neat and easy.  But I prefer the speed of a wired
connection and my garage is detached, wireless was not fast enough by
the time it traveled the distance.  My daughter uses only wireless
around the house, me ? I still plugin my laptop :)