[Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:18:50 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

I need a higher speed network connection from my office (where my 'server'
pc lives) to the living room (where my PS3 lives) to stream video, etc.

Is there anything magical or to watch out for in terms of running
ethernet wires, or is it a trip to Lowes/HD to buy some ethernet cable,
some connectors / baseboard plates, and a cheapo crimper?

Even if I get energetic and run wires to other rooms, I'm probably going
to be running < 10 wires.

I know I need switches etc. to connect to the network. I'm fine with that
stuff.  Its the "how do I connect an RJ-whatever connector to the ethernet
cable and what spec ethernet cable do I want" part I could use some advice
on, if its not going to be obvious at Lowes/HD.

Thanks!

Mark