Re: [Shop-talk] kids tool bench

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] kids tool bench
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:19:10 -0700
Another great 'helping' routine is when you're working on plumbing
under the sink. Put a wrench around some sort of fitting nearby and
have your 'apprentice' hold it still. Tell 'em it's really important
that they hold the fitting in place while you do whatever you're doing.

> The best thing I can suggest from experience is to get them involved
> with
> actually helping.  I had my daughter spackle some screwholes in some
> new
> drywall last week, she loved it, though she got more spackle on her
> hand than
> the wall!
>
> Let them help carry a piece of wood, hand you something when you're
> on the
> ladder, or glue something together (do they make nitrile gloves for
> 3-yr old
> hands?) they love helping daddy/grandpa.

- Bill Rabel
   Anacortes, WA
   2 grandsons, 6 and 4