Re: [Shop-talk] Chemical rust remover?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Chemical rust remover?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:04:11 -0400
At 06:55 PM 9/17/2008, cornerexit wrote:

 >I'm refurbing an older woodstove that has some rust on the outer skin. I've
 >used a knotted wire brush on a 4" grinder to get most of it off but there is
 >still some present in the small craters. I was wondering if there is any
 >sort of chemical rust remover that would clean the rest of it up before I
 >paint it? Preferably something that can be purchased at a retail store vs.
 >online.

Wayne,

While I'm not expert on the subject, I don't think there is such a product.
I usually use something like you did, the knotted wire wheel on the 4" grinder,
or I'll sandblast it.

Most of the chemical type stuff is mostly phosphoric acid and will mostly just
take care of surface rust.  No if that's all that's in the craters,
that's fine.
Also the paint will help keep those spots from rusting as the seal the Oxygen
from the metal.

The only other thing I can think of would be a very small cutting bur on a
dremil tool.

John

>http://www.team.net/archive

Va. Beach, Va