Re: [Shop-talk] kids tool bench

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] kids tool bench
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:36:18 +0100
Mark Andy wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Can anyone recommend a fun kids tool bench / kids tools?

Mark,

We went to see a cousin of mine the other day who has several grandsons
3yrs and up. I was very impressed with a simple work bench he'd made for
them with a joiner's vice (not engineers). He gave them corks (ex wine
bottles) for materials so they could cut them with a junior hacksaw, the
fine teeth being less likely to damage small hands and the frame is
better suited. The corks took nails easily so they could make up models
in a very impressive way. Learning to handle tools confidently and
safely at a young age is the key and this seemed to work very well.

Wish I'd thought of that with my son, I bought him his own socket set
and a screwdriver. Which he promptly used to tunnel into a wall to
investigate the wiring on a power outlet. The socket set was speedily
swapped for small Massey Ferguson overalls and he was encouraged to play
outside well away from any power supplies...

Nick Brearley