Re: [Shop-talk] kids tool bench

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] kids tool bench
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:05:49 -0500
Mark Andy wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a fun kids tool bench / kids tools?
>
> My son is 1.5 years old, and likes to imitate dad

When my son was that age, I had to keep close tabs on him - he would try
to get tools out of my roll-around, especially screw drivers - he loved
screw drivers.  I re-arranged the tools in the box so that he couldn't
reach them any more, but then I caught him pulling out the lower drawers
and using them as steps to get to the screw drivers in the top drawers.

I finally gave in, and gave him a "screw driver" - actually a
replaceable bit drive handle without the bits.  Yes it was dangerous,
but not nearly as dangerous as a "real" screw driver (he would grab them
when I was working on things and not paying close enough attention to
him).  The drive handle kept him happy and he couldn't do any harm to
things with it (well not much anyway).

I tried the plastic "toy" tools, but he knew the difference and wanted
real metal ones.

He also loved hammering things (I'd have to let him hammer nails when I
could) so I also gave him a small rubber/plastic tipped hammer, and he
would go around hammering everything around.

He's 27 now, so obviously he managed to survive.  Now he helps himself
to the tool box when ever he wants to (doesn't even have to use the
drawers as steps) and helps me work on cars as necessary.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA