Re: WOOT! the tig is here!

To: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: WOOT! the tig is here!
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:39:21 -0700
Steve Shipley wrote:

> At 11:11 PM 3/25/2005 -0800, Randall wrote:
>
>> > Since a "300" sounds considerably larger than my "175"
>>
>> Scott already said the "300" was a mistake.
>
> "my bad - that's 300 amps out, not in."
>
> I believe that my "175" indicates output and requires a 125 amp breaker.
> Now a larger machine is going to run off a 30 amp breaker.  My guess
> is the breaker will pop before anything bad happens but it sounds like
> its waaay undersize.

All this depends upon the transformer setup of the machine and the
output voltage. If your input to that machine is 110V-220V
single-phase, the current requirement might be considerable. If, on
the other hand, it were 3-phase 440V, the current requirement per
leg would be minimal at best.

The best way to determine such requirements, as others have said, is
to check the specification plate.

I have an old P&H Harnischfeger 400A output job shop welder which
ran for years without incident at 480V, 3-phase, at a maximum of
about 35A per leg.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.