RE: WOOT! the tig is here!

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: WOOT! the tig is here!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:11:26 -0800
> Since a "300" sounds considerably larger than my "175"

Scott already said the "300" was a mistake.

> I am, in
> my ignorance, concerned about extension cords.

JIC I was unclear before, what I was talking about was a custom-made "extension
cord", using suitable gauge wire (sized not by what the welder might draw but
rather by what the outlet might supply).  Most dryer outlets are only 30 amp, so
10-3 with ground would do fine.  (Could probably even get by with 12-3, if the
run to the welder isn't very long, since it won't be in continuous use.)  If the
"extension cord" won't be used much (like just until the garage gets wired
properly) or won't be moved very often, then solid wire could be used (it's
usually a bit cheaper).  But stranded 10-3 w/gnd is readily available.

Randall