RE: WOOT! the tig is here!

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: WOOT! the tig is here!
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:34:54 -0800
> > Guess I still don't see the problem with temporarily using an
> > "extension cord"
> > from the laundry room.  Even if your garage is detached, you
> > can lay the wire on the ground temporarily, then pick it up
> > when you're done welding for awhile.  I agree you eventually
> > want a permanent outlet in the garage, but you said you were
> > anxious to get started welding ...
I don't like to contribute to electricity discussions as I'm not an
electrician but I used to have access to someone who would tell
me what to buy and what to do.

I just went out and looked at my breakers and I'm running my 5hp
compressor on a 30amp breaker.  My Lincoln SquareWave 175
is running off a 125amp breaker.  Can't tell you what the wire size
is but it's bigger than anything other than the mains.

It's also run to the garage in flexible conduit and I vaguely remember
a calculation involving what size and number of wires can be run into
a given cross section of conduit.

Since a "300" sounds considerably larger than my "175" I am, in
my ignorance, concerned about extension cords.  I'm seeing some
kid in an AC/DC t-shirt shouting "Fire, Fire! he-heh"

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA