RE: WOOT! the tig is here!

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: WOOT! the tig is here!
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:09:07 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Randall wrote:
>> no existing 220v plug in the garage - dryer is in the laundry room,
>> stove farther than that.  gonna have to have a plug in the garage.
>
> Guess I still don't see the problem with temporarily using an "extension
> cord" from the laundry room.  Even if your garage is detached, you can
> lay the wire on the ground temporarily, then pick it up when you're done
> welding for awhile.  I agree you eventually want a permanent outlet in
> the garage, but you said you were anxious to get started welding ...

Yep... And that 220V 50A extention cord will be useful later on when
you're 220vac outlet isn't where you want it.

Note that such an extention cord isn't something you'll need to put
together yourself.  You'll also want stranded wire, not solid.  It'll end
up costing you $50 to $100 for a 10' to 25' or so extention cord...

Mark