Re: Framing nailers, HF or other

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Framing nailers, HF or other
From: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:25:31 -0400
With my finish and brad nailers this isn't an issue, but with the bigger
nailers including roofing nailers, I believe you are supposed to let the gun
push itself away, or it mightl double-fire.  Or it could be the quality of
the gun.

When doing my own construction I would sometimes use a screw to hold the
pieces together, and then use a nail or two more for strength.  Not sure how
much shear strength those screws have, but I know a steel construction nail
is much stronger.  And I know what you mean about shocking the adjacent
walls, I have plaster walls throughout my house - don't upset the lath...

This is a good article I found:

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00003.asp

PJ

>I bought a HF framing nailer that uses slanted sticks of nails.  It has
>worked
>well, but I suspect not as well as the pro models.  Some of it may be the
>user.
>I'm a little timid with it.  Biggest problem is it bouncing (probably due
>technique) and sometimes getting two nails.  I was never sure though
>exactly
>what nails to buy.  I could never get the ones that HF sells for it because
>they
>were always out of stock.  I went with some clipped head Paslode nails from
>Depot.
>
>There is another alternative, though, that is slower but more precise.  I
>did a
>lot of repair in my house, replacing some rotted 2x4s in a bathroom, using
>long
>drywall screws and a cordless drill.  No shock to the adjoining walls and
>such.
>This was before I had the framing nailer, though.  I also used screws for a
>number of 2x4 construction applications when I did an addition on my house.
>It's a pretty good method.  I could generally get a screw in wherever a
>nailer
>could otherwise go.
>
>PJ McGarvey wrote:
>
> > Building a knee wall in my attic, and I don't want to go the hammer/nail
> > route in this heat.  HF sells a Central Pneumatic 10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE
>ANGLE
> > FRAMING NAILER KIT for $100, and there's a new store 15 minutes from me
>that
> > just opened up (Norristown, PA).  Assuming they carry it in stock I'd
>like
> > to pick one up.  Any experiences with the framing nailers at HF?
> >
> > For the same price I could get a Senco, Hitachi, etc. on Ebay that's
> > probably had a hard life.  Any recommendations?  Course I'd love to get
>one
> > of the cordless Paslode nailers, but they are bidding up to the $2-300
> > range...
> >
> > Also, I have a planer I bought at HF last year that's had some light
>use, if
> > anyone is interested?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > PJ

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!