Re: Framing nailers, HF or other

To: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Framing nailers, HF or other
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:18:08 -0500
"Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net> wrote...

> kept snapping off the "drywall screws" with my screwgun so I went to
> ainless square drive decking screws . . I may never drive another nail!

Try another brand of screws.  You don't need to spend big bucks for SS
unless you prefer them.  I've had boxes of the Chinese screws where the head
pops off on almost every screw, but mostly it's pretty tough to snap a head
off.  I've had good luck with most of the junk from Home Despot as far as
breakage.  Between lots of home remodeling and building a hangar, I've used
maybe 50 pounds of screws in the last few years, from a variety of sources.

However, screwdriver bits have been a real problem for me.  Even
square-drive.  Lots of slippage problems.  I even hammered the square-drive
bits into the screws after starting the screws, with a little better result
but really slow going.  Two things have helped me:

On plain Phillips, with reasonable screws (heads not filled with
galvanizing, etc.) I've had phenomenal luck with B&D Scorpion bits with two
rings on the shank.  Those would often bite so well they'd stay in the screw
and pull out of a magnetic holder - a very happy problem I easily dealt
with.  But they don't sell the same ones any more - must've been too good.
I'm hoarding my last few dozen bits.

Solution #2 - Menards (a Midwest home center chain) sells screws with a Torx
recess.  Phenomenal.  I've almost never had one slip out.

Karl