Re: car ramps

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: car ramps
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:07:34 -0700
On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 12:23:27PM -0500, John Niolon wrote:

> oil change bandits are running me off....  35 bucks for an oil change on my
> Tahoe is too much...   so I'm going back to home done...   got some plans
> for a set of ramps... but before I build I'm wondering if there are any
> tips/tricks/cautions/recommendations from the group..   Plan on using 2"
> square tubing and angle iron for the material and will be used on concrete
> driveway...
>
> make me smart guys !!!

I can slide under my C3 (pickup version of a Yukon) without ramps, but
I'm thin.  Doing it on a slick concrete garage floor helps.
If you're reasonably fit you should be able to slide under the truck
with the front wheels parked on some boards.  Maybe a couple stacked
up and screwed together for more height...

BTW, when you change the filter, put a rag in the u-shaped
frame crossmember that goes under the trans.  If you don't oil will puddle
in it and then drip out later.

I'd be a little leery of putting a big truck on a set of ramps
I'd built myself and then crawling under it... that's really
putting your design and fabrication skills to the test.
"ramps" made out of solid wood would be pretty unlikely to fail.

Eric