Re: Framing nailers, HF or other

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Framing nailers, HF or other
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:07:12 -0500
-> Try another brand of screws.  You don't need to spend big bucks for SS
> unless you prefer them.

I used stainless on exterior fencing projects, good quality plated on
everything else, all square drive.

> However, screwdriver bits have been a real problem for me.  Even
> square-drive.  Lots of slippage problems.  I even hammered the
square-drive
> bits into the screws after starting the screws, with a little better
result
> but really slow going.

I've had nothing but good luck with deWalt square drive bits in a deWalt
screwgun.  I bought 4 square drive bits before a fencing project and drove 4
or 5 hundred stainless screws with bit number one!  I bragged to a pal and
we miked the one I'd used and found less than 2 thou wear.  I donno about
anyone elses bits but DeWalt bit are amazing.  Mind you, these were driven
by a screwgun with the clutch collar but I've driven lots since with a mean
3/8 drill and no clutch.

> Solution #2 - Menards (a Midwest home center chain) sells screws with a
Torx
> recess.  Phenomenal.  I've almost never had one slip out.

Those should be great also. .

Tony