Re: TC Wanted

To: "Moorhead, Tim" <TMoorhead@leapnet.com>
Subject: Re: TC Wanted
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:15:16 -0700
And I guess my point, Tim, is that we -as owners and restorers of these
cars - should do all we can to change that situation!

If we, the "experts", decry the high prices and tell the world at large that
these cars aren't worth but a fraction of the restoration costs, then who's
to argue with us? The cars will always be worth a lot less than it costs to
restore them.

If, on the other hand, we encourage people to buy cars for closer to what it
costs to restore them, we - as sometime sellers - win, there is more
incentive to restore cars properly in the knowledge that it'll be easier to
keep from getting upside-down, and the buyer of the higher-priced car will
have a greater appreciation of what he owns.

In the grand scheme of things, it's also fairer, as why should it be
possible for one person to buy for $20K what another spent $40 restoring?
Remember, market values are established by buyers and sellers; if some "Blue
Book" somewhere says a TC is only worth $15K, surely that doesn't mean that
we all have to sell our cars for that price, or give up restoring them
because they'll never be worth half what the job costs?

Just my 2 cents' worth, of course...........

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center