RE: TC Wanted

To: "'Lawrie Alexander'" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: RE: TC Wanted
From: "Moorhead, Tim" <TMoorhead@leapnet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:53:48 -0500
Lawrie -

Thanks for the reply.

You use the words "professionally building" and cite a 40,000 figure.  This
doesn't mean that the car is worth that amount of money.  I have found that
one can get upside-down fairly quickly if one relies on others to do the
restoration work.  I worked at at a restoration shop here in Dallas from
1995-1997, and during that time period we completed the restoration of
several cars.  One of which was a '71 MGB for a fellow who had owned the car
since new.  He spent between $25,000 and $30,000 on the restoration.  Does
this mean that his B was worth that?  Only to him.  IMHO, his car was worth,
at best, $10,000, and then only to a select group of people.

I have personally restored a TD and a TF to what I (and my fellow club
members) would term "correct show quality", and didn't get upside-down on
either of them.  Some work was done "professionally" (machine shop, and
paint/body) , but the remainder of the work (dis-assembly, re-assembly,
mechanical, electrical, upholstery/top/tonneau) was completed by my lonesome
in my home garage.  Many of our club members have completed " correct show
quality" restorations, including body and paint work, without relying on
"professionals".

I guess my point is that many people seem to think their cars are worth what
they have invested in them, and in most cases, this just isn't realistic.

Tim in Dallas