RE: a few questions

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: a few questions
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 22:05:53 -0700
A refinement on #2 is to remove the spark plugs so the parts aren't working
against compression pressure. Also disconnect the primary wire to the
points. Squirt a little bit of oil in the cylinders, too. Turn it over on
the starter (no more than 15 secs at a shot - don't want to overheat the
starter) until you see oil pressure come up. Then put the plugs back in and
light it up. It'll smoke for a bit until the oil is burned out of the
cylinders, but that's okay.

If mine has been sitting for several months, I drain the oil first, pull the
cam cover and liberally marinate all the valve gear with fresh oil. Oil that
has been sitting for a while gathers condensation.

You'll probably need to prime the carbs, too. Before I switched to an
electric fuel pump, I used to siphon some gas into one of those plastic
ketchup squeeze bottles. The neck was the perfect size to fit into a fuel
line, and I'd just squirt it in until it backed up in the line.

Gordon