RE: a few questions

To: "'James Hoffman'" <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: a few questions
From: "roadster katman" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:51:31 -0700
60K miles is the recommended changeover of chain stuff. Although you can
probably get a lot more miles out of it by babying it, as with any
engine. I'm no expert, but my high school autoshop teacher had the best
advice. Change the oil often, and avoid dry starts. He was driving an
old jalopy with about 400,000 miles on it and it ran great. When I
rebuilt my U20, I made sure the oil galleys and ports were clean and
wide-open in the cam and head. Changed oil several times the 1st 1000
miles, and then switched to synthetic. Keep the oil clean, and you'll
reduce wear on the metal parts from contaminants and acid (the acid
forms as the oil gets old).

Don't know about blipping the throttle, I don't need to. You might want
to take apart the carbs and make sure everything slides freely without
hangup. I used crocus cloth (emery paper) to take down high spots so the
pistons slid without friction in the SU domes. Also, check often that
the SU pistons have oil in them (I keep a small bottle of automatic
tranny fluid for that).

Fred - So.SF