RE: a few questions

To: "'roadster68'" <roadster68@shaw.ca>,
Subject: RE: a few questions
From: "roadster katman" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:00:20 -0700
After an engine sits for a long time, I always recommend option #1 -
spinning the oil pump. That way, it's the only moving part while oil
makes it's way into all the oil galleys and pathways.

Option #2, spinning the starter moter, still allows metal on metal
friction until oil makes it's way to the metal parts. If you're going to
use this option, at least remove the top valve cover and pour oil all
over the exposed parts.

For option #1, I took a large slotted screwdriver, cut off the handle,
and ground the tip to match the grooved slot of the pin on top of the
oil pump (at the base of the distributor mount). It takes a little
practice to get the parts in proper timing alignment afterwards, but
it's worth learning.

Fred - So.SF