Re: a few questions

To: James Hoffman <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: a few questions
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:19:19 -0600
Hello Eric,  My very basic understanding is that the 2000 engine started as
a 1600 and an overhead cam was added.  Apparently the biggest reason for
early failure was the fact that the upper timing chain was the last piece of
the engine to receive oil from the pump.  My manual confirms this.  Guys on
the list have recommended either 1.) removing the distributor and rotating
the oil pump (counter clockwise) for a few minutes to get oil to the upper
chain - if the car had not been run for a long time or 2.) disconnect the
coil and just turn over the engine with the starter.  Mine has been in
restoration mode for five years so hopefully other listers can give better
advice.  Good Luck!  Larry.