RE: many questions!

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: many questions!
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 22:37:46 -0700
> 1. i'm pulling the engine, and have noticed the leads going to the reverse
> switch look identical.  are they?  does it matter which one goes where?

Nope. It's just an inline switch.

> 2. where do i get a clutch alignment tool?

Any auto parts place should have one for an early 510 or Z. That'll work.

> 3. i am documenting this, and was wondering if there is a basic photo
> program that will allow me to put circles and arrows on pictures
> (and maybe
> resize/crop, although i use LView for that)

Sorry, can't help you on that one.

> 4. dean's book says to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential and
> then pulling it from the transmission.  i can't see much; i guess it would
> help to pull the tranny mount etc., so you just pull it out?????  i have
> already drained the tranny oil.

Probably just as easy to pull it out before you loosen the tranny mount.

> 5. the windshield looks like two big bolts each side; then that
> metal rod in
> the middle - you disconnect that from under the dash?

No, the rod stays attached to the frame. There are two studs on the
underside of the lower frame piece that stick through the cowl and are
nutted under the dash. Look up there past the wiper motor and you'll find
them, behind the defroster ducts. You can get an idea of how it's laid out
from this shot from Gary Tew's photo album:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/322151071/332892669XebONh
BTW, nice shots, Gary.

> 6.  finally, for now - pulling the dash out to refinish it - you have to
> pull all the instruments, and what else????

IIRC, you can leave the instruments in place. Just disconnect them from the
harnesses and cables. Pull the steering wheel and the turn signal unit so
you can slip everything off past the steering column. Once the windshield is
off, you can get to the screws that hold the dash pad in place. Pull those
and remove the pad. Oops, you'll probably need to remove the trim piece
around the dash, if the dash pad hasn't rotted away from it like so many
have. Lots of annoying little flat metal tabs that can be a real pain to get
off without breaking the posts. Now you can get to the screws that hold the
metal faceplate of the dash to the cowl.

I've probably skipped a few things (oh yeah, like the center console) but
those should be pretty obvious.

Remember to label all the wires clearly before you pull them off. I've been
told that you can pull the dash out a ways with the wires still connected.
That may make it easier to get to them.

Gordon