RE: Gas gauge dead

To: "PETER VANDERPAS" <giraffehauler@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Gas gauge dead
From: "Eric Gillis" <egillis@ceres.k12.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:02:03 -0700
Peter-
Try finding the resistor ballast (white ceramic resistor thingamajiggy with two
wires connected) under the dash, drivers side under and behind the 4 in one
gauge.  Two fixes:  Pull both wires off, abrade them with emory cloth or the
like and plug 'em back in, making sure there is good contact.  Or, what I do,
is just jiggle until the gas gauge/water temp come back up to speed.  I rarely
have any issue with this in town, but on any long trip they seem to jiggle out
of contact quite often, and I obligingly budge them back into place.  This
would be the problem if both the gas and water temp gauges when to nil together.
Yes, I could do the first fix to get a more permanent solution, but I'd rather
spend time working on the Gulf Oil orange/navy racing stripe to get my car to
appear less 'cute' or 'adorable,' jeeez. Some front fender flares might help,
too.

Eric Gillis
Modesto, no magic here.