RE: Garage pits

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: RE: Garage pits
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 23:09:43 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:

> I have just got to ask.  What on earth is the rationale for making garage
> pits illegal????  Do you suppose the town council sat down one monday and
> said, "What shall we do tonight?"  "I know, why don't we make garage pits
> illegal..."  The only basis I can think of is a desire to keep people from
> working on their cars.

I don't know the rationale in New York (where TVR Rolf posted from), but
around here they are considered a fire and safety hazzard.  There have
been a number of fires started when gasoline in the bottom of a grease
pit ignited, and several people have been badly injured.  Of course in
each case "operator error" was to blame, but since you can't legislate
against stupidity the powers that be legislated against grease pits.

> It sounds what my uncle encountered in a mobile home park in AZ.  He had
> the hood up cleaning bugs from his radiator, or doing some other innocuous
> task, when a functionary of the homeowner's association arrived and warned
> him that working on his car was against the rules.  He moved.  What a
> great country--ensure gentility by making sure nobody opens his hood.

In Baltimore County it is illegal to work on a car on the street in front
of your house or even in your own driveway.  You're supposed to do all
automotive work indoors.  The law is universally ignored by citizens _and_
police.  The only times I've heard of it being enforced have been when
disgruntled neighbors complained, or when someone has junk cars and parts
strewn all over the front lawn.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu