Re: Garage pits

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garage pits
From: Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 08:27:31 -0500
>From: Chip Old:

On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:

> I have just got to ask.  What on earth is the rationale for making garage
> pits illegal????  Do you suppose the town council sat down one monday and
> said, "What shall we do tonight?"  "I know, why don't we make garage pits
> illegal..."  The only basis I can think of is a desire to keep people from
> working on their cars.

I don't know the rationale in New York (where TVR Rolf posted from), but
around here they are considered a fire and safety hazzard.  There have
been a number of fires started when gasoline in the bottom of a grease
pit ignited, and several people have been badly injured.  Of course in
each case "operator error" was to blame, but since you can't legislate
against stupidity the powers that be legislated against grease pits.

When I was a senior in high school my father was building a new house and I
begged him to put a pit in the garage so that I could work on his & my car.
He was glad to oblige and the builder made it so you walked out of the basement
into this stand-up pit. There was a recess around the top edge for a cover plate
to cover the opening (I believe it was about 3' X 8'). Anyways, nobody checked
first with the town and when the building inspector showed up he said to fill
in the hole -no ifs, ands, or buts. The reason he gave was that many times
Firemen will charge into a burning garage filled with smoke and fall into the
pit -which could easily kill them.

It was a painfull sight to see the pit get filled in, but we should of known
better!

-Bob T.