Re: MG TD advice sought

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: MG TD advice sought
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 23:33:16 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, Will Zehring wrote:

> -recently repainted kelly green with new brown vinyl interior and canvas
> top, car easilty passes the 10 foot test, scores well on the two foot test
> too.  Seats and door pannels nicely done, carpet tatty and footwell
> kickpannels missing, glass clear and good, Not a show piece, but very clean
> in appearance

Kelly green isn't an original TD color name, and the seats should be
leather (if that sort of thing matters to you).

> -solid appearing chassis rails and tub wood (I poked about a bit with a
> flash light and a car key; wood really does seem ok on the bottom at least,
> didn't check behind seats)  (can't say I inspected the entire rail)

rot begins, and it requires almost complete disassembly of the body to
replace the wood down there.

> -engine turns and runs, substantial fuel leak at forward float bowl,
> otherwise engine compartment appears complete; no sense of how well the
> car/tranny/brakes actually perform (it was raining and we didn't take it out
> of the garage); appears to have a substantial valve cover gasget leak

Drive it before you buy it.  The TD/TF tranny is especially prone to
layshaft and laygear wear, which is expensive to fix.  Don't worry about
the leaks; they're relatively easy to fix.  There's nothing unusual about
the TD brakes, so they're easy to fix if necessary.

> -original wiring (or so it appears), didn't test electrics.  Starter motor
> is strong, new battery

Test all the electrics.  T-type wiring is rubber-insulated with a cloth
covering over the rubber.  If it's really the original harness, expect a
lot of deteriorated insulation.

> -disk wheels with reletively new wsw bias ply tires

Most TD owners use radials.  Wonder why this one still has bias ply?  If
they''re very old, they'll need to be replaced.

> -PO modifications: almost none, only one I saw was mounting of ameter gauge
> where head light switches should be with the switch placed below dash, dash
> is wood veneer, metal gauge surround badly worn,

The TD had only an ammeter and an oil pressure gauge.  If a PO moved the
headlamp switch off the instrument cluster, what else has been added?
Probably a temperature gauge (common modification).

> -Gauges don't work, except possibly the oil preasure and ameter.  In fact
> the tach is missing its pointer.  Gauge faces tatty, minor pitting rust.

All rebuildable, but not inexpensively.  Early TD's like this used
chronometric speedo and tach, and there arent many places that know how
to fix them.

> seller is asking $US 10,500 but appears ready to negotiate to some extent.

Sounds a bit steep to me, but then Im out of touch with current T-Type
prices (I paid $950 for my TC including containerized shipping from
England - a _long_ time ago).  Try to get him down to $8500.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu