RE: Garage pits

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: RE: Garage pits
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 12:14:41 -0500
   From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>

   I have just got to ask.  What on earth is the rationale for making garage
   pits illegal????

Garage pits, particularly small at-home ones, have a long history of
injuring and killing people as heavy noxious vapors settle into the
bottom of them and either a) poison the person or b) explode.

Useful things, but if someone makes one, it's a really good idea to
install a decent fan system. You'd want to use the "sparkproof" fan
motors designed for chemical plants and grain silo's, I think....

                                -john
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu