74 MGB - How much is too much?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 MGB - How much is too much?
From: "Bob Smith" <BSMITH@el2.kenteliv.kent.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 15:20:37 +1200 EST
Hello all,

I'm _thinking_ of buying a 74 MGB convertible...haven't decided yet.
Just wondering if the dealer is asking too much.

The car is in what I'd call fair shape.  It has been painted (blue
metal flake), showing some signs of poor body work behind the front
wheels (bubbling a bit).  The odometer and the dealer claim 45k
miles.  It's a pretty nice looking car overall.  The dealer tells me
it has one problem...starts up & idles fine, but after it's driven a
little, it won't go more than about 5 mph until it cools down.  He
wants $3,000 (claims it's listed at $5,500 in a collector's book).
If he gets it fixed, he'll ask more.  Personally, I think that's too
much, even if it didn't have that "little" problem.  My inclination
is to offer him about $1,000-$1,500...what do you all think?  Am I
out of touch or is he.

Thanks in advance...Bob