RE: Garage pits

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Garage pits
From: "R. Kyle Schmidt" <rkschmid@mechanical.watstar.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 1994 13:31:53 EST
>Maybe SU has stopped making carbs, but apparantly Stromberg Zenith has not.
>Find a September 1994 issue of Popular Mechanics.  There is an article on a
>trainer aircraft made in Germany, the Katana.  The text mentions there is no
>mixture control on the panel like most carburetted aircraft, because "it has
>a carb which automatically compensates for altitude".  The picture of the
>engine shows what appears to be a CD175 perched right in the middle!  Maybe
>a similar carb built under license in either Germany or Austria, as the plane
>has Austrian registration numbers.

>The sun never sets!

>Cheers,
>Barry W Fox          Bwfox@aol.com      65 TR4A  CT51681L

The Katana is now being built in London, Ontario. The engine used is a
Bombardier Rotax 912 producing 80 hp. The engine is both air and liquid
cooled. Unfortunately, I do not remember the manufacturer of the carbs. I will
check when I get home.

The thought of relying on the good old CD carbs in the air gives me deep
chills as a pilot. While I know that the CD stands for constany depression
I was always upset that it refered to the state of mind of the car owner after
he attempted to work on it. <grin>