Re: overwhelming mail load

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (SOL)
Subject: Re: overwhelming mail load
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 16:02:48 CDT
One solution to the overwhelming mail load has already been suggested
by mjb:  abandon the individual messages and make it a digest-only
format.

There are 90 addresses aliased to british-cars@autox.team.net.  (It
appears that many of those are sub-lists, but from triumph's
perspective, an address is an address.)  Multiply 90 by the number
of messages daily, and you get (a) one hell of a load on triumph and
(b) one hell of a lot of net traffic.

Perhaps the digest-only format should be considered more seriously.
Not only would this significantly reduce the load on triumph, and net
traffic in general, but would also reduce the banter and general
chit-chat that some newcomers seem to see as a problem.  Don't get me
wrong, I've been on SOL for nearly 5 years, and I generally enjoy the
banter.  But if it has become a detriment to what this list is
supposed to be all about, then maybe it's time to rethink things.
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA