Re: Overwhelming mail load

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overwhelming mail load
From: "Robb Pryor" <robbp@healey_haven.esd.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 12:07:42 -0700
On Apr 28, 11:27am, Berry Kercheval wrote:
> Subject: Re: Overwhelming mail load
>
> Speaking for myself, while I don't own an MG and never have, (I have a TR6
>and
> a Mk VI Bentley, and have owned a Sprite and a Rover P5) I find the
> discussions of MG issues very interesting.  While SPECIFIC details are
>useless
> to me, the GENERAL aspects are incredibly useful.
>
> I'd hate to see the list break up like Yugoslavia into small independent
> "ethnically cleansed" sublists and miss all the useful stuff.  I mean, the
> Bentley list would have only three members!

I think there has been a mis-understanding about my suggestion, let me clarify:

Any filtering of mail would be up to the *individual* list members.  I am not
suggesting that the list break up into sub-lists.  That would basically endup
being a  TR list, a MG list and an catch-all list.  I think that this would be
a mistake. Berry is entirely correct that whether or not you own a particular
make, discussions about problems are often generally useful.(Besides, there
isn't enough traffic on the list regarding Big Healeys to support a sub-list,
so I'd have to lurk on one of the other sub-lists to get my lbc fix.)

I was only suggesting a format, or protocol, for the subject line so that *if*
people wanted to, they could use one of the existing mail filtering programs to
help them manage the incoming mail.  Also, filtering the list at the list-
manager's site would increase the administrative burden on people like Mark,
not good.

--
_____________               _____________ Robb Pryor, Silicon Graphics,