Re: Overwhelming mail load

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overwhelming mail load
From: "Robb Pryor" <robbp@healey_haven.esd.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 10:02:51 -0700
On Apr 28, 11:22am,   Jim Rumpf   wrote:
> Subject: Overwhelming mail load
> I'm new to the list and am getting swamped by the sheer volume of SOL
> communications.  I have a 77 MGB (owned it five years, never driven
> it yet) and am particularly interested in discussions, tips, etc. on
> it and others like it.  Not that I don't enjoy some of your
> discussions on Spits, etc., but is there a way to filter out the less
> (immediately) important stuff?  Or is there just a list for MG's?

This is second or third time that I have seen a comment like this recently.
I won't open up the can of worms by suggesting that we convert, or expand, the
list to newsgroup(that topic has been beaten into the ground); but I have a
suggestion based on an idea used by some of the newsgroups.  Most of the
comments about too much mail come from people who are interested in one
make and not others.  I would suggest that for each submission, as part of the
subject, the make of the car be included to help people filter incoming mail.
For car makes, abreviations such as; AC, AH, MG, TR would be appropriate.
Some makes like Lotus might have to be spelled out rather than shortened to
something like LO.  In some cases certain models might have their own
abreviation; Spit and Spridget come to mind.  The list of generally accepted
abreviations would be placed in the list FAQ for newcomers.  Topics such as
Lucas electricals would have "Lucas" in the subject line.  Topics which cut
across all lbc's would not change.

I would propose the following abbreviations as a start.  It is not complete,
feel free to make additional suggestions. Most are self-explanatory

AC - AC Cobra
ARM - Armstrong-Siddley
AM - Aston-Martin
MINI - Austin Mini