Re: setting valve/rocker gap

To: @car.dis
Subject: Re: setting valve/rocker gap
From: cusack@gumby.msd.ray.com
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 12:38:45 EDT
Regarding valve adjustment:

> Then bump the engine with the starter. If you hit the key right, the engine
> will "notch" over to it's next prefered stopping point...

I have a big red pushbutton momentary switch that terminates with clip leads
that is set aside for just this job.  It lets me bump the starter while
leaning into the engine bay.
During this procedure one lead goes on the +12 VDC terminal of the starter
relay, and the other on the solenoid (starter) terminal of the relay.  With
practice a "quick flick" will produce a very small angular displacement.

Spark plug removal optional.

P.S.
I once heard Morse remark to Lewis regarding a very handsome XJ6, "Ah,
rubbish.  Those new cars have no class..."

- Skip