Re: setting valve/rocker gap

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: setting valve/rocker gap
From: James Harrison <james@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 15:32:34 BST
Although I never tried this on my Midget, it was the recommended way of
setting the clearances on my Vauxhall Viva (OK, stop laughing, I was poor
and DESPERATE!!). For the Viva, the clearances were set with the engine
hot. After warming it up, you removed the rocker cover and set the
clearances with the engine running! If the clearances were too tight, you
could not slide the guage in, if too loose, it would slip out easily, and
when just right, it would be lightly gripped. The only downside was that it
hammered the h*** out of the guages!
   Don't know if this is appropriate for the A series - I used to pull the
Midget along as most other respondents have covered.
   have fun - and don't ever make the mistake I did of selling your Midget
- you know you'll regret it forever!
   cheers,
     james

PS anyone know of a good 5-speed conversion for an A-series engined Midget?
How much welding/cutting etc. is required?
--

     James Harrison - Hewlett Packard Medical Products Group
     james@hpl.hp.com     or     james@hpl.hp.co.uk