Re: setting valve/rocker gap

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Re: setting valve/rocker gap
From: timd@midget.ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 17:42:43 EDT
> Is there an easy (re: mechanics trick) way to set the rocker/valve gap??
>
> It's a little tough to push the car back and forth trying to make sure the
> pistons are in the correct position. You can't get to the pulley nut
> on the Midget 'cos the cross members in the way.

I just did mine last weekend using the chart from the factory workshop
manual (also in Haynes).  It really does let you set lash with minimal
crankshaft movement.  Just follow the column on the left and adjust them
in that order rather than trying to do 1-8 or 8-1.  I needed about three
feet of total tire travel to set all 8 valves.  I then pushed the car back
to recheck all 8.

I find it easier to watch the valve lifter (top of the adjuster) to locate
maximum lift of the opposing valve.

timd@ptltd.com  (Tim Dziechowski - Phoenix Technologies - Norwood, Mass)