Re: setting valve/rocker gap

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: setting valve/rocker gap
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 22:53:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Is there an easy (re: mechanics trick) way to set the rocker/valve gap??
>
> It's a little tough to push the car back and forth trying to make sure the
> pistons are in the correct position. You can't get to the pulley nut
> on the Midget 'cos the cross members in the way.
>
> Marcus

 Yep, there sure is. And even though you didn't ask, I'll tell you how. :>

 Forget about piston position and all that. What you want to do is adjust
the valve when the tappet is on the heel of the cam; no where near the
lobe or lobe ramp. Due to the weirdness of the 4 cycle engine, when a
given valve is open, the same valve (intake or exhaust) on the cylinder
opposite in the firing order is exactly on the back of the heel. Perfect
time to adjust that valve. So, when #1 exhaust is open, you adjust #4
exhaust. When #2 intake is open, you do #3 intake, etc. Nothing to it,
works on any four cycle engine.

 Now, in your particular case, there are a few things that make it even
easier.  Four cylinder engines will always stop with two valves wide
open. So you disable the ignition, pull the cover off, see which to
valves are open, and adjust the two opposite. Then bump the engine with
the starter. If you hit the key right, the engine will "notch" over to
it's next prefered stopping point with two new valves open.

 There is one more feature of most British engines, including all BMC and
Triumph 4's and 6's. The valves are laid out in a symetrical pattern.
For a four cylinder, it is E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E. This means when the first
valve from the front goes down, you do the first valve from the back. Same
for second, third, etc. Or if you like math games, this method here is called
the "9" technic. The valve that is down, and the valve you adjust will always
add up to 9 (13 for six cylinders).

   That's it.

   Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com