Re: setting valve/rocker gap

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: setting valve/rocker gap
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 23:40:10 -0400 (EDT)

> On Wed, 20 Apr 1994, Randy Wilson wrote:
>
> > easier.  Four cylinder engines will always stop with two valves wide
> > open. So you disable the ignition, pull the cover off, see which to
>
> The first winter after the bugeye was restored, I started it occasionally
> and let it run until it was completely warm.  A mechanic recommended I not
> do this, so this year I left the engine strictly alone.  I didn't think

Hmmm, did he give any reason as to why? It would be best to drive the car
a bit to slosh up the diff. You spin the tranny when the engine is running,
in neutral, clutch out.

> about it until I read this, but this means the car has been left for 5
> months (this is VT) with the same two valves open and the valve springs
> maximally compressed.  Will this lead to two valve springs being weaker
> than the others?  Would I be better advised next year to turn the engine
> on the starter a few turns now and again?

This is beyond me. I would think the cyclic stress involved in running
would be worse than sitting with static compression. Really need to bounce
this off of an engineer. The torque discuss seems to indicate we have a
few of 'em lurking. :>

> We live and learn.
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                 Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                 gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

    Randy
      randy@taylor.wyvern.com