Re: setting valve/rocker gap

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Re: setting valve/rocker gap
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 13:36:46 +0800
> Is there an easy (re: mechanics trick) way to set the rocker/valve gap??
>
> It's a little tough to push the car back and forth trying to make sure the
> pistons are in the correct position. You can't get to the pulley nut
> on the Midget 'cos the cross members in the way.

That *is* the trick. :-)  The easiest way: plugs out, third gear, and
remember the Rule of Nine.

The Rule of Nine, for those who don't know it yet, says that you count
valve stems from the front of the motor, looking for the one that's all
the way up (or actually, rocking so that you can find the maximum lift
on that cam lobe).  Then subtract the number of that valve from nine;
the result is the valve you can adjust.

Six-cylinder cars work the same way but with 13 instead of nine.

Another tip for Midgets: grab the top of the tire and push down on
that, it's a little easier than trying to haul on the car.  Though
with the plugs out it's easiest.  If I recall, Chris and I together
couldn't get the M.G. to rock with the plugs in, due to the higher
compression and still-tight rings.