MGB oil pressure...solved

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB oil pressure...solved
From: wade@ops.tridom.com (Wade Massengil)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 20:57:25 EDT

Greasings and Lubrications, All...

        Well, that certainly was a lively debate on MGB oil pressure gauges!!

        Here be the factiods...

        1. Early B's, prior to the 'Abingdon Pillow' used a capillary
(mechanical)
        guage that was also a water temp guage.

        2. B's after '72 also had mechanical guages...with a switch, not a
        sender, to turn off the fuel pump (I think) in the event of low (no)
        oil pressure. This accounts for the brass 'T' on the firewall with
        the funny switch on it.

        3. Just my luck, from about '69 to '71, they used the hyper priced
        and flaky electric type, with the doorknob looking sender that mounts
        to the engine with a funky bracket.

        4. The mechanical gauge from the later '72+ cars (untill they went
        round) will fit the early dash if you save the early bezel/trim off
        the electric gauge.

        So, what I did was buy a used mechanical gauge and all the plumbing
        for $20 at Atlanta Imported Auto Parts. I will at some point remove
        the now unused switch from the little brass 'T' and replace it with
        a switch to sound a buzzer in the event of low oil pressure.

        Now, if UPS will just hurry up with that head...

        And, thanks for all the interesting reading.

        Wade 'back on track, again' Massengill