re: ticking noise

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: re: ticking noise
From: bpeel@std.MENTORG.COM (Bill Peel)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 91 11:03:04 PST
I can't stay quiet any longer.  So here's my two cents worth.

As a kid in the 60's, I hung out in my fathers repair shop and any time we
adjusted valves, there were a couple rules:

1)  Do the adjustment with the engine warm and running if possible.
    Sometimes the oil mess was too much.  The engines seem to get better
    performance when the valves are adjusted warm and running...

2)  ALWAYS USE ROUND FEELER GAUGES.  They give better measurements because
    they fit under warn rocker arms better (please excuse the ASCII graphics):
     _____                                   _____
    | ___ |                                 | ___ |
     - O -                                   -   -
       The round fits into the warn groove    /\
                                               The flat staddles the warn groove

I hope this helps.   If I've overlooked something - flame away...

Moral of the story > use round feelers whenever possible.

Bill Peel - A.K.A. TigerMan
phone 685-7000 ext 2749
email mgcrgy!bpeel
Mentor Graphics - Wilsonville Oregon