Re: ticking noise

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: ticking noise
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 91 11:23:09 -0500
berry@hawking.wpd.sgi.com (Berry Kercheval) writes:
> I once saw someone adjust the valves on a Sprite, I think it was,
> WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.
>
> Anyone ever see this before?  He claimed he could tell when the
> clearance was right by sliding the feeler gauge around; I tried it and
> it seemed to work.
>
> Of course, myself, I do what the manual says.  That trick was a bit messy...

My first car in America (back in 1980) was a 1972 Ford Capri, 2000 cc,
4-cylinder.  I didn't know much about cars then (probably only a little
less than I do now! :-) but enough to know that engines aren't supposed
to tick like the proverbial sewing machine!

A neighbour at the time was training to be a car mechanic and he would help
me on some of the maintenance.  All the valves needed adjusting.  Me, I'd
bought a book (a Chilton's I think) to help me get through the basics.
According to the book, the adjustment had to be done WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!
My mechanic friend, Mike, was dumb-founded!  He was used to mostly American
cars and had never heard of such a procedure.  Me, I didn't know any different.

Well, I started 'er up and Mike said something that sounded like "Duck!!!"
I couldn't tell if that was what he really said as the oil came out, or
if it was something that rhymes :-)

We stuck it out though, whisking that feeler guage around, oil everywhere
(it was on my In-Laws side lawn too), but we accomplished our mission.
It was a lot of fun too.  Damn thing sounded like a brand new car after that!
(I shouldn't say "Damn thing", I really loved that car)

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert