RE: ticking noise

To: "bpeel@std.mentorg.com"@HERMES.intel.com
Subject: RE: ticking noise
From: gendimen@t12sys.intel.com (Mike Gendimenico, SC3-32, 765-4903)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 91 07:10:09 -0800
Bill Peel writes:
> As a kid in the 60's, I hung out in my fathers repair shop and any time we
> adjusted valves, there were a couple rules:
>
> 1)  Do the adjustment with the engine warm and running if possible.
>     Sometimes the oil mess was too much.  The engines seem to get better
>     performance when the valves are adjusted warm and running...

You were probably watching your father adjust GM (probably Chevy) hydraulic
lifters, which are adjusted warm with the engine running.  For the last 15
years, 3 of which I spent working in a garage, all solid lifters on every make
I've worked on are adjusted cold, unless you want noisy or burnt valves.  BTW,
to prevent the oil mess when adjusting hydraulic lifters, they make clips that
snap on the rocker arms and direct the oil back to the head instead of in your
face.

Mike Gendimenico
gendimen@t12sys.intel.com