Re: transmission oil

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: transmission oil
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 9 May 90 9:43:38 CDT

> >  In the recent write up in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine on the TR-6
> > they highly reccomend Redline's manual trans/transaxle fluid as 'a
>transmissi
> on
> > rebuild in a can'. Anyone else tried this stuff?
>
> I can't say if it's a "rebuild in a can", but the Redline MTL is
> wonderful stuff. It smooths shifts, enhances syncro action, and
> just simply feels food. I've been using it for almost a year now
> in a Swedish auto. I'd recommend it highly. BTW, I've tried lots
> of other transmission lubes- Mobil 1, Lubriplate, etc, and lots
> of additives.
>
> Rob

I realize I just talked about this the other day, and we should help
stamp out and obliterate redundancy and repitition. BUT...   do all
these wonder oils have detergents?   I just had my Midget gearbox
rebuilt, and Jack Nesset showed me where the coatings on the syncros
were "cleaned" off by detergent oil.  "Rebuild in a can" sure sounds
omenous in this context.  Jack told me to use plain 30w motor oil,
NON-detergent. (The 4th gear syncro was completly gone, and the others
were on the way.  I had been double-clutching  4th for the entire
time I had the car.  I never use it in autocross, so I ignored it.)
I don't want to have a crash second and third to go with my factory
crash first, so I took his advice.  How about the gearboxes in other
Britcars?  You might be taking a hell of a chance.
phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324