Re: transmission oil

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: transmission oil
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 May 90 15:57 EDT
  From: Ralph E. Droms <droms@sol.bucknell.edu>

  Does this discussion of transmission oil apply to AH Sprites, which,
  if memory serves, expect standard weight engine oil rather than
   heavier gear oil?

   Of course, by "standard weight" I mean something like 10W-30, rather
   than the 20W-50 we typically have to use to get any readings on the
   oil pressure gauge...

it seems a common misconception that gear oil `weights' and motor
oil `weights' have anything to do with each other.  these weights
are simply indices into tables, and the tables for gear oils are
completely different from the ones for motor oils.  for what it's
worth, the back of the bottle for Redline MTL clearly states that
it meets all SAE requirements for 10W30 and 30 weight Motor oils,
and for both 75W and 80W gear oils.

From: Philip J Ethier <phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov>

   I realize I just talked about this the other day, and we should help
    stamp out and obliterate redundancy and repitition. BUT...   do all
    these wonder oils have detergents?   I just had my Midget gearbox
    rebuilt, and Jack Nesset showed me where the coatings on the syncros
    were "cleaned" off by detergent oil.

this may not have been a detergent issue.  i have been aware for
some time that API GL-4 and API GL-5 gear lubricants have distinctly
different additive packages, and that you are not supposed to put
a GL-5 Gear oil in a tranny that isn't spec'd for it.  the back
of the bottle of Redline MTL clearly states that it meets GL-1 and
GL-4 specs, and points out that GL-5 gear oils usually contain
sulpher, which can destroy synchros not intended for use with GL-5
gear lubricants.

From: Wayne Angevine <waynea@cadnetix.com>

    So far, all the discussion on the merits of synthetic gear oil has
    related to old gearboxes.  I have heard that synthetic oil should not
    be used in new engines because it prevents things from wearing in
    properly.  Do any such considerations apply to new(ly rebuilt) gearboxes?
    If this stuff is so great, should I put it in my rebuilt roadster tranny?
    It sound like I should definitely put it in the rear end.  I should
    clarify that the tranny has some new parts (syncros, sliders, bearings)
    but not new gears.

you got me on this one.  i'm planning to check around on it, because
it would be good to know.

    Can I get Redline tranny lube at my local BAP or such like?

i don't seem to be able to convince any of the Albany NY area
stores to carry it; i'm mail ordering it (ipd, a Saab/Volvo
parts source, carries both MTL and 75W90; Ereminas, an Alfa
parts source, carries the 75W90.  prices at the two places
are comparable.)

From: rdg@hpfcmi.fc.hp.com

   > This Redline MTL sounds good, would there be any problems in using it
   > with an overdrive gearbox ???

   I don't know of any reason why it would make a difference. I beleive
   my Swedish auto has an overdrive 5th gear, and if it doesn't, I'm sure
    Mr. welty will correct me. ('82 900)

oh, probably i will.  british car overdrives in this context are
different things from simply having an overdrive for the top gear
in the gearbox.  i don't know a lot of the details on how brit
car overdrives work, though; many members of this list are better
informed than i on that topic.

From: rdg@hpfcmi.fc.hp.com

    > Does this discussion of transmission oil apply to AH Sprites, which,
    > if memory serves, expect standard weight engine oil rather than
    > heavier gear oil?

    I can't tell you that the Redline MTL is suitable for every tranny in
    every car ever made. The data point I have is my Swedish sedan, which
    calls for *either* engine oil (10W30 or 10W40) or gear oil (75W90 or
    something like that) in the tranny. I think trannys are pretty tough.
    Heck, I've even tried ATF in mine!

the fact that Redline makes more than one gear oil suggests that
they feel that different trannies need different lubricants.
they do warn about using MTL in certain final drive units, and
make its limitation to GL-1 and GL-4 applications explicit as
well.  i don't know the details about the redline 75w90
applications, but it might be a more suitable gear lube for
a AH or other british car.

as for ATF; well, i've just picked up 3 quarts of MTL for my
1978 Saab, and am wondering if i should run ATF in it for
a week as a flush step between the current gear lube and putting
in the MTL.  does anyone have any opinions?

richard