Re: transmission oil

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: transmission oil
From: mit-eddie!hpfcmi.fc.hp.com!rdg@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 10 May 90 15:44:35 MDT
> Does this discussion of transmission oil apply to AH Sprites, which,
> if memory serves, expect standard weight engine oil rather than
> heavier gear oil?

> Of course, by "standard weight" I mean something like 10W-30, rather
> than the 20W-50 we typically have to use to get any readings on the
> oil pressure gauge...

I can't tell you that the Redline MTL is suitable for every tranny in
every car ever made. The data point I have is my Swedish sedan, which
calls for *either* engine oil (10W30 or 10W40) or gear oil (75W90 or
something like that) in the tranny. I think trannys are pretty tough.
Heck, I've even tried ATF in mine!

So, nothing's guaranteed, but I think that a lubricant explicitly
designed for the environment of a transmission is more likely to
perform better than a lubricant that was designed for a significantly
different job.

Rob