transmission oil

To: alliant!alliant.com!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: transmission oil
From: sgi!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 15:50:14 CDT
During my recent transmission fiasco, Jack Nesset told me something
that you may all know.  Or not.  He said that the syncros were shot in
my transmission because it had detergent oil in it.  The books tellyou
to use engine oil, but Jack points out that there is a special coating
on the syncros.  The detergent oil thinks it's dirt and obligingly
cleans it off for you.  When I put the gearbox back in the Spridget, I
hopped down to the local Superamerica and picked up a couple bottles
of "Detergent-Free" (it says on the bottle) 30 weight.  Folks told me
I would have trouble finding it, but here it is a few blocks from my
house, 99 cents a quart.
phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324