Re: transmission oil

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: transmission oil
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 May 90 18:36 EDT
            In the recent write up in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine on the
TR-6
    they highly reccomend Redline's manual trans/transaxle fluid as 'a
transmission
    rebuild in a can'. Anyone else tried this stuff?

redline is `god's on gear oil', to quote randy gardner of the
Saab mailing list; he has used both mobil 1 and redline, and
finds the redline to be distinctly superior.

an alfa race mechanic i know considers redline, amsoil, and
Agip synthetics to be pretty much comparable, and all to be
better than mobil 1.  my girlfriend put redline in the transaxle
of her alfa gtv 6, and it helped with `the usual synchro problems'
quite a lot.  i'm running the Agip synthetic in my alfa milano
transaxle, and really like it a lot.  redline MTL is equivalent
to the 75W gear oil that Saab specifies for their transmissions;
redline also has a couple of others, such as the 75w90 that is
appropriate for Alfa gearboxes.

the list of positive stories about good synthetic gear lubes seems
to go on forever ...

richard